The Toms River Police Department will be accepting applications for the position of Probationary Police Officer between May 1, 2015 and July 31, 2015 at 11:59pm. The Toms River Police Department is a non-civil service department. Applicants are required to participate in the entrance exam which will be given on September 12, 2015. Successful candidates will be ranked on a hiring list which will be promulgated in January, 2016. This list expires in December, 2018.
- The initial testing process includes:
- Written Exam 9/12/15
- Physical Task Assessment & Swimming Test 10/18/15
- Oral Interviews November & December 2015
The Physical Task Assessment consists of a Police Pursuit Event, Fire Rescue Event, and a Rapid Aid Endurance Run. The swimming test consists of 2 ¾ lengths of a 25m pool. The applicant must then recover a weighted object from the bottom of the pool and place the object on the swim deck.
Candidates must have a four year college degree or a minimum of 64 college credits and two years of full time active duty military experience or two years of full time regular police experience at the time the application is submitted.
- Toms River Police Department is located in Toms River, the county seat of Ocean County with a population of approximately 88,791 residents within 43 square miles. The Township is ranked as the 7th largest Municipality in New Jersey according to 2010 U.S. Census Data.
- The police department consists of 300 employees, 160 of whom are sworn officers.
- The starting salary is $41,616 for applicants entering the police academy
- Candidates must be between the ages of 18 & 34 at the time of appointment, and must be capable of performing all the duties of a Toms River Police Officer.
For further information regarding the TRPD application process please contact:
Sergeant Patrick Dellane: firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries by phone will not be returned.