The Toms River Police Department strives to recruit and employ candidates who meet strict educational, physical and ethical standards. While the recruiting process is ongoing, testing occurs once every 3 years. Applications are only accepted during specific times, immediately prior to a scheduled entrance exam. The current application process will be open from May 1, 2015 through July 31, 2015.
If you meet the following criteria you are eligible to apply to the Toms River Police Department for the position of Probationary Police Officer:
- Are you a United States citizen?
- Are you between the ages of 18 and 34?
- Have you earned a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university?
- If not, do you have 64 credits from an accredited college or university AND 2 years of active duty in the military? OR
- Do you have 64 credits from an accredited college or university AND 2 years as a full time regular police officer?
If you answered yes to these questions and you have read the Toms River Police Department Tattoo Policy which states that “all uniformed employees hired after December 30, 2013 shall not have any tattoos, brands, body piercings or other body art visible while a member is in uniform or other business attire”; click here to download an application.
- The application must be received by the Toms River Police department no later than 11:59PM on July 31, 2015.
In order for the application to be accepted, it must have only the following documents attached, no other documents will be accepted (ie. Resume, certificates not requested, etc.):
- $75.00 Money order payable to “Township of Toms River”
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of official translation if foreign born/ non English
- Copy of Naturalization papers if foreign born
- Copy of College Diploma
- Sealed, Official Copy of all college transcripts
- Copy of DD214 if applicable
- Copy of PTC certification if applicable
The Toms River Police Department is a non-civil service agency. The written exam is conducted by the New Jersey State Chiefs of Police. All candidates participate in the written exam. The candidates with the top 150 scores on the written exam will be invited to return to participate in the Physical Task Assessment. Click here to download the Physical Test Course.
All candidates who pass the swim test and who complete the 3 floor events in 120 seconds or less will advance to the interview process. Once interviewed, candidates will be ranked and placed on a 3 year hiring list according to their cumulative score. As vacancies arise, candidates will be required to complete the following prior to being offered employment:
- Successfully pass a thorough background investigation
- Medical screening including stress test
- Psychological screening
- Urinalysis screening for banned substances.
Once hired, probationary candidates will be required to successfully complete a training period before permanent appointment. All inquiries regarding recruitment may be directed to Sergeant Guy Maire via email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Township of Toms River is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity and anti-discrimination pursuant to Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act as amended by the Equal Opportunity Act of 1972 and the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (LAD). Under no circumstances will the Township of Toms River discriminate on the basis of sex, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital or political status, affectional or sexual orientation, domestic partnership status, civil union status, atypical heredity, cellular or blood trait, genetic information, disability (including AIDS or HIV infection), liability for service in the United States armed forces, gender identity or expression, and/or any other characteristic protected by law.